Le Grandeur indulgence

Airy ambience in hotel lobby
I stop in my tracks as a watch a small animal streak across my path – a squirrel – dashing to the side of my car before climbing up the nearest tree.  

As I drag my bag across the driveway, I think these curious creatures must have grown used to people and the noise from bags bouncing on uneven ground.  Charmed by this sight, I’m glad that the little squirrel continues to thrive in its natural habitat as I make my way into the lobby of Le Grandeur Palm Resort.

Still thinking of my squirrel encounter, I enter the lobby with its familiar welcoming airy ambience.  While the reception staff attends to guests, I take my time to admire the artifacts displayed behind the counter, ceramic creations by a local artist.  The name of the resort may have changed several times in the last few years but I already feel at home in the superb surroundings of this established 5-star resort hotel in Johor Baru.

Facade of Le Grandeur Palm Resort
Its lunch time and I follow the footsteps of a large group heading into the 2-in-1, Xin-Shan Long, Sobasei restaurants for the Chinese-Japanese buffet.  Available only on Fridays, this is certainly a value-for-money buffet that features two live cooking stations that’s whipping up freshly-made Japanese teppanyaki and Chinese deep-fried specialties.  After a peek at the array of temptingly displayed food, I have no difficulty in deciding where to eat my lunch.

My appointment at Le Spa is at 4pm and my therapist recommends a revitalizing body massage to de-stress so I pick “Le Signature” their signature treatment that uses a blend of Rosemary, Tea Tree and Citrus oils.  She applied a professional mixture of traditional Malay, Thai, Balinese and Hawaiian therapies to indulge my senses with an ultimate experience in relaxation and rejuvenation, and gear me up for a lovely evening ahead.  She was right – her skillful ministrations certainly helped to work up a healthy appetite. 


Trio of appetizers whipped up by Chef Ravi
at The Grill at Cocomo
I drop in at The Bar for a frozen Margarita before going to The Grill at Cocomo to meet Chef Ravi who’s cooking up a storm in full view of diners.  It’s a weekday in the resort but the Chef is kept busy because The Grill is a popular choice for diners who appreciate the creative meals served in a charming ambience. 

He did well to impress me with a trio of appetizers made up of deep-fried scallop topped with chopped mango, pan-seared salmon and an delectable vegetable combination of eggplant, French beans, sliced mushrooms and cherry tomatoes.  After polishing off the spicy rack of lamb, garnished by caramelized onions with a side of Japanese idemame beans and boiled potatoes, I still have room for the tempting dessert of ice-cream on chocolate mousse.


Two steps lead up to a luxurious sunken long bath in my suite
One indulgence leads to another and it’s so easy to snuggle into the comfort of my king-size bed for a good night’s rest.  To top off my restful resort stay, a slow start the next morning with a leisurely bath, my morning read and a light breakfast in bed – not necessarily in that order – is just what I need.  I take my time to savour every unhurried moment to its full before I leave this laid-back routine and return to the pressures of the daily grind.


Fast Facts

Hotel

Le Grandeur Palm Resort, Johor Bahru
Jalan Persiaran Golf, off Jalan Jumbo, 81250 Senai, Johor
Tel: 607 – 599 6000      Fax: 607 – 599 2281


My warm welcome to Le Grandeur Palm Resort
Getting There

Easily accessible from Singapore through the Customs Immigration & Quarantine complex and Second Link or exit at Senai tollgates from the North-South Highway and drive in the direction of Sultan Ismail International Airport – the resort, located just a stone’s throw away from the airport, is clearly signposted.

Main Attraction
                                 
It is one of the most complete 5-star resort destinations in the country, providing wide ranging facilities for business, leisure, recreation, spa, golf and adventure.

First Impression

Staffs are friendly and a warm and welcome resort ambience.



Therapists welcome me into Le Spa
Rooms

Total 330 rooms and suites that enjoy lovely views of lush tropical gardens, the swimming pools or the luxuriant greenery of the golf course.  Spacious rooms feature large and indulgent beds while some bathrooms in suites even have sunken long baths as well as glass shower cubicles.

Rates

Ask for special promotional rates valid till December 2011.  Pick from special room packages like Stay & Spa, Sweet Suite Deal, Excitement Avenue and Family Day stays.

F & B Outlets

The Ishwara Asian Brasserie and Terrace on the lobby level offers all-day dining with an a la carte menu of local and International cuisine, enhanced by live cooking stations for freshly cooked Asian and local favourites.  The Xin-Shan Long and Sobasei Japanese restaurants offer a 2-in-1 dining experience for elegant Chinese and Japanese cuisine in one place.  The Grill at Cocomo offers specialty coffees and teas with delectable pastries and as dusk falls, the live-cooking grill serves some of the chef’s original creations in a charming ambience.  The Bar is a favourite watering-hole for regulars who enjoy soothing live entertainment by resident musicians.



Recently refurbished bowling alley
Overall Service

Well-trained, attentive and unobtrusive service.

Facilities

Twenty-four hour room service, convenient high-speed broadband internet access in all rooms, a Business Centre, halls and function rooms, swimming pools, team-building adventure village and sports and leisure centre with tennis and squash courts, fitness center and a bowling alley.  

Le Spa offers a range of professional therapy and treatment services within charming Balinese themed villas aptly named Lemongrass, Lavender, Cinnamon and Ginger.  Concierge services include city shuttle arrangements and tour bookings to places of interest in Johor and Singapore.




Places within walking distance

Palm Resort Golf & Country Club, located adjacent to the resort, offers three 18-hole golf courses in a choice of the Allamanda, Cempaka and Melati courses.

A version of this article was published in The New Straits Times, Life & Times on 27 October 2011

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete